Ahh, how I love apocalyptic storms! For the past week, every single day, there seems to have been a disaster warning: Floods, tornadoes, twisters, hail, lightning storm, the Four Horsemen- you name it, and there’s been a warning for it. So the weather has been horrible, and since I run amok using SEPTA, I’ve pretty much been hiding out in the house. As if the weather and sudden lack of mobility weren’t bad enough, yesterday I snapped my only pair of glasses in half. I hot glued them back together, since with out them, I can only see three inches past my nose… But it’s only a temporary solution. SO this week, the stress has been high, the flood waters have been high, and Murphy’s Law has reigned supreme.
But enough about me! How many of you guys tried on the crochet pattern? ::waits patiently::
Well, that’s okay, because I tried it out, multiple times, with different yarn weights. I had trouble getting it to look like the picture, mostly because I had never crocheted before, but considering that I learned to crochet on this project, it’s not too terribly difficult, and it comes together faster than I thought.
This was the first one I made- I chose yarns that would match a dress sample I planned on shooting to put in my store. I knitted the entire thing with double strands, using medium weight 1.75 oz. yarn. SO I ended up with a REALLY chunky purse, that reminded me a whole lot of the red velvet cupcakes my boyfriend makes me on my birthday. Because it was so big and bulky and floppy, it doesn’t really hold it’s shape very well. So I’m going to line it with stabilized fabric, so it doesn’t stretch out when I use it. It only took about five hours… and two of those hours I spent cursing the skies because my yarn kept getting snarled and tangled.
This was the second one I made, using a fairly thick crochet yarn. It took a lot longer, since the yarn was finer, and I had some trouble with my ability to use a measuring tape, so it ended up being two inches short of how wide it was supposed to be. But I like how it ended up. There wasn’t any instructions for a wrist strap, but it wasn’t really that difficult to figure out. I just lined it with some scrap fabric from the dress, and am going to sew a little zipper to the top.
The great thing about this pattern is that it can be used effectively with many different yarn weights and yarn types to make different sized bags, without having to change the directions. Assume that a larger yarn will give you a larger bag and proceed from there!
For new readers, here is the link for the pattern: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96766844@N02/8905422138/
If you have any trouble viewing or copying it, just email me and I can email you a copy of it!
Happy crocheting! 🙂